There’s nothing like driving north on highway 75 and seeing a sign with a familiar name on it! McKinney’s own roasting company, TexaKona, has it’s very own coffee lodge right up the road in Van Alstyne. Trust me friends, it’s worth the drive up north.
Here’s what you need to know about the coffee lodge:
- Appearance? It is truly a coffee LODGE. It may be connected to a gas station, but don’t let that fool you! This place is a lodge through and through. The wood used throughout the shop, the lifted ceiling and exposed beams, the furniture and little touches around make you feel as if you were in the middle of a rustic wood. The funky wood light fixtures add a cool modern touch to the homey lodge.
- Do I come here to chill, study, or socialize? You come here for all three! Like I said before, this shop is connected to a gas station. When you are inside, it does not feel that way whatsoever! It is peaceful enough to do homework, reading, or any other studying you might partake in. Something I really like in the shop are little study sitting areas (that’s what I’d call them) on the back wall with outlets. These stations are perfect place to have a little study or work session. There are long tables and little living room areas, as I like to call them, that are perfect for hanging out with friends or family and socializing.
- Coffee? The coffee is from the TexaKona Coffee Roasters in McKinney, so it is exceptional. TexaKona has a farm in Kona Hawaii, Heavenly Hawaiian Farms. On the farm, they produce the amazing Kona coffee. The coffee is is excellent on it’s own, but the shop has many syrup options, by 1883, that add a little flair for our coffee fans that need a little extra sugar (nothing wrong with that). I got the iced coffee with lavender syrup, which is pretty hit and miss with me. It was delicious, probably the most complementing lavender I have yet to taste. Madison ordered an iced caramel macchiato and she said that it was one of the best she has ordered. There was not caramel drizzle, like you might find at a chain store, but she said the macchiato at the lodge did not need it.
- Can I buy the delicious TexaKona beans there? Yes you can! There is a display at the front of the shop with a great selection of TexaKona products.
- Is there a drive thru? The lodge does have a drive thru!
- Snack, breakfast and lunch options? All three!
- What stuck out to you about this shop? How many coffee lodges have you been to in Texas? Chances are, one or none. This is the only one I know of. If you know of another one, please let me know! This place is special and gives you all the warm fuzzies of the cabin you and your family rent in the mountains with much better coffee. 😉
- Fun Fact! We did not try it, but if you check out the shop’s website you will see that they have a Ripples machine! This means that if you upload the Ripples app, you can get a custom photo in your latte at the shop. Pretty cool!